The Fresno Air National Guard Base in California is home to the 144th Fighter Wing. The wartime 403d Fighter Squadron was re-activated and re-designated as the 194th Fighter Squadron, and allotted to the California Air National Guard, on 24 May 1946.
The 144th FIW 194th FIS brought the F-106 into service on July 25, 1974, and continued to fly this aircraft until December 31, 1983. On the first of January 1984, the F-4D became the wing's new aircraft, and was flown until September 30, 1989. In 1979, the 144th Fighter Interceptor Wing was reassigned from the Air Defense Command to the Tactical Air Command. On 25 July 1974, the 144th brought the F-106 into service, and continued to fly this aircraft until 31 December 1983.