The 71st FIS was in three locations of Selfridge AFB MI (17 Oct 60-15 Jan 67), Richards-Gebaur AFB MO (15 Jan 67-01 Jul 68) and Malmstrom AFB MT (01 Jul 68-01 Jul 71). The 71st FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC with F-80 aircraft at March AFB in December 1948. In May 1949 it went back to SAC for a year until its transfer to ADC again in April 1950 with F-86As. The squadron made three quick moves to George AFB, Griffiss AFB, and, finally to Greater Pittsburgh Airport in October 1950. In 1958 the unit received F-86D aircraft, and in August 1955 the 71st designation was transferred to Selfridge AFB. In the spring of 1957 the F-86Ds were traded for F-86Ls but, shortly thereafter, in the fall of 1958, the squadron transitioned into F-102A. Two years later in October 1960 a transition into F-106As took place. In January 1967 the unit moved to Richards-Gebaur AFB, but soon moved again in June 1968 to Malmstrom AFB. It remained at Malmstrom with F-106s until deactivation on 1 July 1971 when the 71st was redesignated as the 319th FIS and was transferred to TAC (Tactical Air Command).
F-106s were assigned to the 71st FIS at three locations. (1) Selfridge AFB MI from 17 Oct 60 to 15 Jan 67 (2) Richards-Gebaur AFB MO from 15 Jan 67 to 01 Jul 68 (3) Malmstrom AFB MT from 01 Jul 68 to 01 Jul 71. On 01 Jul 71, the 71st FIS was redesignated the 319th FIS and remained at Malmstrom AFB until inactivation on 30 Apr 72.
1st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (1 CAMS) was activated at Selfrdge 16 Jan 1967, Selfridge AFB, MI 1st Fighter Group (AD). On 16 Jan 1967 the 1st Communications & Electronics Maintenance Squadron, the 1st Field Maintenance Squadron, the 1st Organizational Maintenance Squadron, and the 1st Munitions Maintenance Squadron were inactivated and their functions assigned to the newly-activated 1st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. 1st CAMS supported the 71st, 171st and 94th FIS's.
Winner Hughes Achievement Trophy 1969